I recently purchased the belt kit and ink tube system for a designjet 5000 and after installing I've been unable to get past the initial boot up as the error check printhead path (2) is displayed. I've attached a video of what's happening with the carriage during the startup procedure. Would you have any suggestions on what you think the problem would be?
There are a number of things that can cause the print head path error.
- The brass screw on the tensioner assembly may not be totally disengaged. It needs to be completely unscrewed and hanging on its captive spring.
- The motor pulley may have debris remaining on it from the previous belt causing lumpy carriage movement
- If the carriage moves slightly and then the error occurs, the encoder strip is trapped behind the encoder sensor on the back of the carriage. If that is the case remove one of the end covers and move the carriage to that end so you can see the sensor and strip. Put the strip into the sensor.
- Defective encoder strip
- If you changed the carriage height (screw adjustment on the carriage) the carriage may be hitting something.
- Defective motor
- Broken tensioner or bad bearing on the tensioner pulley
Also check that all the print head cleaners are completely seated down.
Share this post